Thursday, July 28, 2016

IVF Survival Kit

When we began our IVF cycle I was a happy, nervous and excited mess. Just the day before we began treatments I woke up feeling hopeful but not optimistic. Our appointment that afternoon was, in our minds, one in which we were going to look through a catalog of sperm donors and choose the one that most resembled my husband. By that evening I was basking in the knowledge that we would be having our own biological baby. Our Reproductive Endocrinologist assured us that he could work with our own material. Wow! That was shocking enough, but he added another surprise. We would begin our treatments THE NEXT DAY.

The process really was a blur, and went by (in hind sight) incredibly fast. I remember, I was on my first medication and it was making me bloat and causing me to be irritable and grumpy. I was visiting with my Aunt and Cousin and they surprised me with a survival kit. It was full of little items to help me to get through the process with my sanity in tact. I still remember being so incredibly blessed by their thoughtfulness.

If you know someone going through the process or if you are going to be going through the process yourself, here is a list of items you might consider adding to your survival kit. This list might be a little different, as I prefer some more organic options, but I will include both traditional and homeopathic options for you.

1. Heating Pad
A lot of the process is painful. After retrieval and even as the ovaries are growing (and then shrinking) abdominal cramps are very common. A simple microwaveable rice or corn bag can do wonders to ease the discomfort. If your friend is going to be alone after retrieval though, it would be really nice to have one that plugs in, so she doesn't have to make multiple trips to the microwave.

2. Ice Pack
Shots. So many shots. Your friend will feel like a human pin cushion. She will run out of acceptable places to have her shot. Icing the area prior to getting a shot really helps it to not hurt as much. Also, my butt and hips ached from all the shots and switching between a heating pad and an ice pack really helped me manage the swelling and pain.

3. Journal
Even if your friend isn't the sentimental type get her a journal and encourage her to write in it every day. The hormones she is getting injected with are going to do crazy things to her. Journaling her thoughts will not only help to keep her sane, but it could save her marriage. I love being able to look back on the daily entries in my journal I kept during that time. It has also been wonderful to be able to have exact details to be able to share with friends and family who have gone through the process.

4. Colored Pencils
Even if your friend doesn't write in her journal, she might draw to relieve some stress.

5. Neck Cooler
Hot flashes are a real thing. A personal fan, a neck cooler you can soak in water, or something of this nature is fantastic. Peppermint oil would be an awesome gift. Just a dab on the wrist and the back of the neck can cool you down really quickly.

6. Silly Puddy or Stress Ball
I love this simple stress reliever. It gives your friend something physical she can do to take out her stress and tension.

7. Tissues
Hormones make a mess of your body and your emotions. Tissues are always a good idea.

8. Deck of Cards
For killing time either in the treatment center or during those times your friend will be forced to take it easy. It really does take great effort to take it easy when your brain can't shut down.

9. Fun Band-Aids
For all those shots and blood draws. Both my arms and hips were bruised and battered before the process was over. With a nightly shot comes a nightly bandaid application.

10. Pain Reliever
Even as natural as I can be, I took Tyenol during my cycle. I just hurt ALL over inside and out. Another option is Cool Azul Pain Cream for muscle aches and for those injection sites.

11. Chocolate
Because... Chocolate.

12. Salty Snack
I know, we are not supposed to use food as boredom busters, but sometimes you have no choice.

13. Warm, Fuzzy socks
I love socks. My feet are almost never bare, and the fuzzier their coverings, the happier they are. As your friend is resting, a fun pair of socks could give her a reason to smile.

14. itunes Gift Card
New music, or a good movie or book is always a fun treat. This can help to pass the time and take your friend's mind off of her LONG two week wait.

15. Colace
Because hormones are no friend to your colon and they WILL make you constipated.

16. Essential Oils
I'm not just saying this because I love them. Essential oils can really help in this process.
Joy - Diffused, or applied just over the heart, this oil can really help to lift your mood.
Lavender - known for it's calming abilities, this would be good for helping your friend to relax. A couple drops in a tub with some epsom salts would make her feel like she is at a spa.
Orange - Diffused, this oil really helps to elevate the mood and uplifts the spirits.
There are MANY others I could recommend, but these would be my favorite ones.

I'm sure there are many items I failed to list. If you have gone through this process, what is something that helped you through it? Is there something you really wish you had at the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Leave a comment here.