Monday, July 18, 2016

God never does anything accidentally, and he never makes mistakes.

"I know for certain that God does not make mistakes, but he does make miracles. I am one. You are, too."
~Nick Vujicic

We all have things we struggle with. For some, its the size and shape of their nose, for others it’s their weight and some hate their completion, etc. Not one of us are perfect. Not one of us, when compared to our ideals actually measure up. Entire industries are created and supported because people want to change who they are. Ok, you want a different color of hair, you want to lose some weight, you want a smaller nose… that’s all doable. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with these things… I have an entire list of physical insecurities I would gladly have ‘taken care of’ if I could afford it.

What about things you can’t change? What about that man who has been freakishly tall his whole life? His insecurities started in adolescence and only continued to get worse. What do we do with him? There is no procedure to ‘correct’ that ‘imperfection.’ Also, because being tall isn’t considered to be a bad thing by most people, many strangers feel it is ok to point and gawk and ask “how tall are you” and “I bet you were really good at basketball.” These questions and statements, while innocent to the average person only serve to pick at the wound in this man’s life.

When you are tall - like, 6’7” TALL, you always stand out in a crowd. You always feel you have to sit in the back row at any event so others can see over you. You always have to worry about your jeans being long enough and your shoes having a low enough sole (because, even that extra .5” isn’t welcome) You can’t hide your height with makeup or shrink it with diet.

So, why are some people faced with these ‘imperfections’? Was God wrong in creating this man? Did he make a mistake? The man I described is my husband. He suffers with nearly constant social anxiety disorder. I have tried to explain to him that although he feels like it, he isn’t THAT tall, (I was raised in a family where this statement would be accurate - we are a pretty tall bunch) but it does no good. Nothing I can say makes him feel better about himself. I wish I could go back in time and see that point that my adolescent husband became so self-conscious of his physical height. I would encourage him to hold his head high. I would tell him how much this woman loves him and that he was exactly what I was praying for.

As a kid, I was really tall. I kinda felt different, but I guess I never realized how much taller I was than most of my classmates. As an adult I came across a picture of myself and the other winners of a jump-a-thon. I was a good head taller than any of them, including the boys. As I got older, I began to see my height as an issue. Like all teenage girls, i wanted a boyfriend. I wanted to be girly and be able to wear heels on a date without towering over the guy. Partly because I was incredibly awkward, partly because there weren’t a lot of guys to pick from in rural America and mostly because none of them were tall enough, I didn’t actually have my first boyfriend until I was in college. My first kiss was when I was 22. Yes, 2 out of the 3 guys I seriously dated before my husband were tall. (Of course)

As a began to near the end of my senior year of college I began to think of my future and to think and seriously pray about and for my future husband. I made a list that had over 30 qualifications that a guy had to fulfill in order to marry me. The very tip top one, under being a christian, was that he had to be tall. No just taller than average, but tall enough that my 5’10” frame would still be ‘short’ even if I wore my favorite heels (and I had quite the collection, including a fantastic pair of hot pink pointy heels with over 4” spikes - Oh, to be a college student again.)

When I first met my husband, I did notice his beautiful dark hair and eyes. I did notice his smile, etc. but the one thing that made those butterflies begin in my stomach was his height. I ended up checking off 90% of the boxes within the first few months, and was madly in love with him pretty quickly. One year and three months after we met we were married. He was (is) my idea of a perfect man. His height is very attractive to me. I love being able to be held by him and feel that I am little and protected in his arms. I love that I can lay my head on his shoulder (in that soft spot between the clavicle and shoulder) and I fit perfectly (that was actually on my list…) I love that my huge hands feel small and dainty in his.

He was made for me. God creates and molds people ‘for such a time as this’ and I believe that He knew exactly what he was doing when he made Cam. I prayed (and my family prayed) for him. As perfect as we are for each other, I’m not sure I would have given him a chance had he not met that very large and important requirement of being tall. My handsome hunky husband is literally the answer to my prayers - the fulfillment of one of my greatest desires.

Yet, that can not take away his struggle. So, DID God make a mistake? Let’s see: In Psalm 139:14 God says,“I am fearfully and wonderfully made." God tells us in Psalm 17, "I am the apple of His eye." In Deuteronomy 7:6, God tells us that we are "His treasured possession.” This more than clearly states that instead of being a mistake, my husband is one of God’s treasured possessions. He knew exactly what He was doing when he knitted Cameron together in his mother’s womb. He was not an accident.

God never does anything accidentally, and he never makes mistakes. He has a reason for everything he creates. Everything was planned by God, and every person was designed with a specific purpose in mind. God's motive for creating him was His love. The Bible says, Long before he laid down earth's foundations, he had us in mind. (Ephesians 1:4).

God made Cam for a reason, (and I like to think that was *partly* for me - what a wonderful thought!) and his life has profound meaning! Only by making God the center of our lives and surrendering our thoughts and insecurities to Him can we begin to understand it. "The only accurate way to understand ourselves is by what God is and by what he does for us.”(Romans 12:3)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Leave a comment here.