Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sickness comes on horseback but departs on foot
~Dutch Proverb, sometimes attributed to William C. Hazlitt

This past week was an interesting one. I managed to come down with Bronchitis, and a sinus infection. I also started a new medication, which is also administered via a shot. (That makes three shots a day) This new medication causes headaches, nausea, and fatigue. Of course, that on it's own is hard to deal with, but combine that with shallow breathing, coughing, stuffed up ears, and a runny nose, I feel like the walking dead.

Cameron has been such a trooper, taking care of me, and letting me indulge in what I want most - sleep. I slept ALL day on Friday, and took a three hour nap on Saturday. Today, I did manage to get to Church, but I am now on the couch with no plans to do anything for the rest of the day. I do feel bad about my sluggish behavior, but everything I have read says that if I can, to sleep... it's the best thing for my body.

We have reached the point of the IVF cycle that we are going to the Dr. every other day. Luckily, I am surrounded with family and friends who are willing to take a drive to Tulsa with me. The actual appointment is only about 15 minutes long, which makes the nearly two hour round trip seem even longer. There is consolation in that though. I have heard of people having to travel 4 or 5 hours to get to their RE appointments. I remember this, and am very thankful for the 'short' drive.

This video was taken by my mother-in-law, who offered moral support while I gave myself one of my shots. I had to get the medication in me as soon as I could, and Cam was at work, so I had to 'man up' and do it myself. For the record, this is the only shot I have given to myself, and I do not plan to do it again. Cam has been such a great nurse, giving me all my shots.

This morning, I encountered a little snafu in my shots. one of the lids of the prefilled needles was stuck on, and I could not get it off. I pulled pretty hard, and the suction broke. Some how, in the process, I managed to stab myself in the base of my thumb, and bend the needle on one of my bones. OUCH. Between the stress of the shots, my physical condition, and the throbbing pain in my hand, I broke down and started sobbing. With little other choice, Cam had to try to administer the shot with a bent needle. Poor guy, he looked at my pitiful face, tears streaming down my cheeks, and had to then stab me with not one, but two needles, one bent pretty badly. I really did try to hold it together, but I think that probably only made me more pitiful looking. I had about calmed down, when I looked down, and the medication from the bent needle was leaking out of the puncture wound. I am not sure how much of the medication I actually absorbed. This sent me over the edge. This specific medication keeps my body from ovulating before we do the procedure. If I did not get enough of the medication in, I could ovulate, and then this cycle would get canceled. I cried for a few more minutes, and poor Cam, who is coming down with the same illness I have, wasn't sure what to do with me. He told me that he was proud of me and that he thought I was very brave, and he was impressed with how much I was able to endure. All I can say is that I can not wait for this week to be over. Hopefully, this week will be a good one, and we will have a successful egg retrieval and embryo transfer. Hopefully.

On a funny note, I did give Cam a 'shot' last night. I wanted him to feel what I had been feeling. He did not want it, but was a great sport about it. I think I will keep him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Leave a comment here.