Tuesday, February 28, 2017

To Rest or Not To Rest

"He settles the childless woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Praise the LORD."
"Whether bed rest is necessary, and for how long is still an issue of debate. When IVF first started, patients were rested strictly flat on their backs for 24 h. Subsequently embryo transfer became an outpatient procedure, with most women having only a few minutes rest."~ Oxford Academic
There is SO much debate around the issue of resting or remaining active after your embryo transfer. I'm not sure anyone really knows the right answer, so there are a LOT of opinions floating around. What I am about to put is solely my own two cents, based on my reading and experience.

Personally, I am going to rest. When we did our first IVF, I was not working and I didn't have any kids to take care of. I came home from transfer, took a nap and watched TV. I wasn't on bed rest by any means, but I definitely didn't go on a jog or go shopping at the mall. That resulted in our son, so I did something right.

I recently talked to a friend who has done IVF several times, and she advised rest. Out of the six total IVF attempts she has had, two were successful. The only factor that was the same in both cycles was that she rested after transfer. Of course, there could be many other variables she didn't account for, or didn't think of, but based on her experience, rest it is.

Survey found on BabyCenter.com
Quotes about bed rest from moms around the internet:  
"My clinic recommends taking it easy for a week. So no going to the gym, running and exhausting things like that. I was also told not to get too hot as this could damage the embryo. My advice would be to take it easy, but there is no need for total bedrest..." 
"My dr said to take it easy for the first 48 hours. I was pretty strict about the first 24, I didn't get up for anything other than the bathroom. After 24 hours implantation should have take place so I still was relaxed but I moved to the couch and was a little more active. After going through everything the last thing you want is for the embryo not to take because you couldn't just rest for a few days! "
Now, I am not sure I believe that being a complete couch potato is the answer. (Although, having my husband watching the toddler and being brought lunch on a tray in bed sounds like a wonderful vacation.) There is evidence that increased blood flow to the uterine lining can actually help implantation. I don't plan to be a complete bum, but I do want to give this little life the best possible chance of making it.

Here is how it is going to work for us: Cam's mom is going to watch our son at our house while we do the transfer and until either my mom can make it to our house, or Cam gets off work. I plan to come home from the clinic, take a nap and then the rest of transfer day, and the one after, taking it really easy. I will not be picking up my son or carrying a laundry basket (my husband's words.) I think I will be writing or doing some knitting while I rest. It's the perfect time to finish that pair of socks I started many moons ago.

We are lucky to have a circle of family and friends who are willing and wanting to help us, especially with our son. Having him taken care of takes most of the physical pressure off of me. I have been working to get all the laundry caught up and getting the house in decent condition so that I won't be tempted to work during my two days of rest.

As with any topic, I am sure if one wanted to, you can find just as many statements against what I just wrote as I found to support it. That's fine. As I stated, this is anecdotal and purely an opinion piece. Do your research and do what feels right to you. Every single IVF cycle is different, and every mother's body is different. Fitness, health and activity levels do play a part in IVF success, as well as age and your specific diagnosis.

There are some other things besides rest I plan on doing to try to help my little embryo along. Hopefully I can get time to write that down for you in the next day or so. Most of these are 'wives tales' in the fertility world, but I'm totally willing to try them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Leave a comment here.