Wednesday, December 21, 2016

There have been many times in this process that I have had to ignore that voice inside myself telling me to not be annoying


There are several things I feel I need to write about, but I am not sure of a good way to present them. Being a list person, I have decided to just go at it that way. It may not be the best blog post ever, but I will get the information across.

1. Progesterone In Oil (PIO) - see my post about IVF terms to learn more about this and more.
The first time I did IVF, I was terrified of this shot. Okay, I was pretty scared of all the shots, but this baby sat there for weeks, in my IVF meds box, taunting me. It is a LARGE, 2" needle, and I'm not exactly sure of the gauge, but it ain't small.

Once I finally started to take those shots I realized that they weren't that bad. I mean, they weren't pleasant, but I easily survived them. I did end up with a nasty itchy and bumpy rash on both of my hips. (they say it is your bottom, but it is more like lower back/ hip area.) I have enough info that I need to do a whole post about that shot, but I will save that for another time.

The prescription I was originally given was for PIO in sesame seed oil. This is a thicker oil and it really has to go in slow and be warmed up really well in your hands in order to make it a more pleasant experience. After a couple of weeks of this shot is when my rash developed. It was really pretty nasty. I was at my parent's house, and I was going crazy. I called the Dr. and they gave me a new prescription for PIO in olive oil. This was MUCH better. It still caused some irritation, but it was not half as swollen, etc. Wearing my jeans was actually an option, where before, I dreaded getting out of my yoga pants.

This time, I asked for olive oil to begin with. Well, that put a kink in my prescriptions. They used a different specialty pharmacy this time, and they do not carry PIO olive oil. They were having to try to find an alternate option for me, which was holding up the process. They offered me another alternative, but it was over double the cost of the original prescription. NO THANKS. In an effort to just move the process along, I told them to just give me the sesame seed oil. I guess we will deal with the rash when we get there. I'm going to be praying that I don't get it this time.

2. Medication discount programs
We were told to apply to two discount programs. They both have the same basic application process and qualifications, but they said that you can apply for both in hopes that one gives you a better discount.

The two programs are DesignRx First Steps and Compassionate Care. I didn't remember applying for these the first time, but I guess I did. I just had to renew my application by sending in the first two pages of my ta return. (1040) TOP TIP: They do not need your social security number, bank account or routing information or your federal tax id (PIN) number. They just need to see the numbers that have to do with your financial situation. However you can, before sending, I would recommend blacking out that information. I opened mine in photo shop and put little boxes over the information to block it out. It's not that I don't tryst the company, but that is super sensitive information, and I like to take precautions. 

These programs are AMAZING! If you qualify, you are able to save up to 75% off of the cost of your fertility medications. Now, don't be silly, like me, and think that because you are guying a medication for a fertility treatment that it is a fertility medication. There are I think only 3 actual fertility medications and they are what you will get the discount on. 

After many attempts to get our information to the compassionate care program, and several phone calls to them, we finally gave up trying to apply. I'm sure it was a fluke, and they are a great company. We just couldn't seem to connect with them. 

We did get everything in to First Steps, and we had approval from them within 24 hours. We didn't get that big 75% discount, but we did get 25% off old two of our medications. The two meds are what drives up the cost at the pharmacy stage of IVF, so I am very happy and thankful for even that 25% off. 

3. Be a squeaky wheel
If you have ever dealt with a stressful medical situation, you know that you are your own best advocate. It is your job to stay on top of everything, and you don't have to wait for some office to contact you. 

There have been many times in this process that I have had to ignore that voice inside myself telling me to not be annoying, and made myself push for what I want. Instead of waiting for the pharmacy to call me to confirm the prescription, I called them, and it was a good thing I did  (See list item one.) 

Faxing in paperwork and then calling in a few hours to confirm the receipt is not over kill. It is making sure your cycle doesn't get delayed or canceled because of some stupid clerical error. I'm not saying that clinics are irresponsible, or that they don't care about you -our clinic does a pretty good job of putting up with me and taking care of my needs. I am saying however that no one cares about your situation as much as you do. Even those doing a bang up, super job are simply doing their job, and sometimes you are not the priority. 

Being on top of things, knowing and understanding your financial obligations, etc. Calling and talking to people with any questions you have, even when they seem silly, can save you a lot of time and even money in the end. I have saved us over a thousand dollars so far and lots of time by being the squeaky wheel. 

4. Facebook groups can be a nightmare 
Stay away from them. Really. I must say that I am a part of at least three IVF groups, and they are a good place to vent and to feel like you are understood. For that reason, they are good things. People, especially when they feel incomplete or damaged, as is sometimes the case with infertility need to feel like they are not alone and are a part of a community of people who completely get them. 

HOWEVER

They can be so incredibly depressing. It isn't a good idea to be a part of a group and just post your own stuff and never participate with other's posts. Even if you tried that, you can't avoid the newsfeed posts of members. Out of curiosity, you scroll through the group page and some days it is encouraging, but most days it makes me want to curl up in a ball. Miscarriages, failed IUI's, IVF's, depression, negative pregnancy tests, and all other matter of depressing content seem to dominate. 

Even on days when the good posts, IVF baby pictures, ultrasound images, positive tests and the like abound, it can be depressing. If you are struggling with infertility and especially if you have come to the point that you are considering IVF, you do not need me to explain this one. 

The groups can be a good thing. They can be a great source of encouragement and they have helped a lot of people. BUT, if you are like me, and you struggle with anxiety or you obsess over things, it might be better to stay away from them. 


These four items are just a small bit of the list I could come up with. They are not earth shattering or revolutionary in the least. However, if you are going through IVF or considering IVF for your family, these and many other issues are going to be what consume you. If you are going through infertility or IVF treatments, I would be happy to talk to you about it. I know I could not have made it the first time without the support of some friends who had been in the situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Leave a comment here.