Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Egg Retrieval, April 18 2017


Obligatory hospital picture before going back for retrieval. 
A quick update between naps: 
This morning started off early. I laid in bed, thinking positive thoughts and trying to pray for the day that was ahead of us. I was awake before the alarm and didn't have a reason to get out of bed. When you are having surgery, not only do they not care what you look like, but they mandate that you look about as bad as you can. No cosmetics, perfumes, sprays, etc. I did put my hair in rag rollers last night, just to help me feel a little 'put together' but other than brushing my teeth and braiding my hair, nothing else could be done. I couldn't even have a cup of coffee, and to me, that is pretty vital to my basic survival. 
The morning was made sweet though by great snuggles from a certain little boy. The busy little man who is normally a daddy's boy wanted to only snuggle with mommy this morning. He gave me so many hugs and kisses and we sang songs and talked. When we finally rolled out of bed, my heart was full and I was ready to get the day started. I think that his sweet, tender heart knew mommy needed a little extra love this morning.
When we left, our son all but pushed us out the door. He was excited to get to spend the day with Grandma. I always hate leaving him, but it is much easier when I know he is taken care of and having a blast. This afternoon, In between naps, I have snuck into the kitchen or living room where he is playing with Grandma and now Grandpa too, and I am kindly informed that I am not needed. It is so cute and funny I can't even get my feelings hurt. 
The drive took a little longer than planned because there was thick fog all the way to Tulsa, but we got there in plenty of time and with no issues. Our egg retrieval went well. There was nothing significant to report and I guess that is a good thing. I was singing hymns as I was coming out of anesthesia. I blame my mother for that - she has a similar story. Cam recorded me. I was singing He Lives! It must have really been on my heart to have been singing it without truly knowing it. 

1 I serve a risen Savior,

he's in the world today;
I know that he is living,
whatever men may say;
I see his hand of mercy,
I hear his voice of cheer,
and just the time I need him
he's always near.

Refrain:
He lives, he lives,
Christ Jesus lives today!
He walks with me and talks with me
along life's narrow way.
He lives, he lives, salvation to impart!
You ask me how I know he lives?
He lives within my heart.

Cam took great care of me while waiting for word from the Dr. He helped to get me dressed and is actually a pretty great nurse. When the Dr. came to see us, we were anxiously waiting for news. As always, he didn't beat around the bush. They retrieved 11 beautiful little eggs this time and he was very pleased. They were hoping for 8-10, so this is a great number. (11 is also the number of eggs we retrieved when we did IVF for H.)
Then, with tact and yet no beating around the bush, he told us we won't be doing a fresh transfer on Sunday as we had planned. Instead, we will be doing a frozen transfer some time in June or July. This was not something we were expecting (or wanting to hear), but we are trusting that he has our best interest in mind and that he knows what he is doing. The idea of a frozen transfer hasn't been even a blip on my radar, so this came out of nowhere. Yes, this messes up OUR timeline, but we know that GOD's timeline is what matters. 
I am showing symptoms of ovarian hyper stimulation syndrome (OHSS) and they want to give my body some time to recover, reduce the swelling and also give me a rest before a pregnancy. I have been through the ringer and had SO many chemicals, medications, surgeries, stresses, etc. that they want to let me have a couple of normal (ish) months before doing the transfer. This will also give my uterine lining a better chance to get nice and thick before doing the transfer. 
Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS) is a medical condition affecting the ovaries of some women who take fertility medication to stimulate egg growth. Most cases are mild, but rarely the condition is severe and can lead to serious illness or death. 
frozen embryo transfer (FET) is a cycle in which the frozen embryos from a previous fresh IVF or donor egg cycle are thawed and then transferred back into the woman's uterus.
I am not sure exactly what goes into a frozen transfer (FET) but as you can imagine, I am itching to start learning about it and you know there will be at least one post about it coming up. I did manage to ask a few questions about it as the nurses were ushering me out the door. I did find out that there isn't as much medication that goes in to an FET, and also that the success rates of FETs are actually better than fresh transfers. Sometimes I feel like an old pro at this IVF thing, so throwing in something new, while a little unnerving and unknown, is also a little exciting. I always love an excuse for some good research. 
Now I will be able to say I have really experienced everything IVF can throw at me.
A Successful Fresh Transfer
A Cancelled Fresh Cycle
A Failed Fresh Cycle
A Frozen Transfer
One thing I do know is this next 5 days is no different (other than no shots) than if I were doing a fresh transfer. I will be looking for an update either tonight or tomorrow morning on how many of the 11 eggs were fertilized and how many actually 'took'. Because of my experience in February, I also know that I will not receive any further news from the clinic until they are ready to freeze the embryos. I just have to wait, trust and keep my mind distracted from constant worry about my little babies in Tulsa. It is going to be odd not having a fresh transfer after this wait. Having to wait not only days, but weeks and maybe months until I can finally have my babies in me is both scientifically amazing and emotionally draining. 

2 comments:

I want to hear from you! Leave a comment here.