Friday, December 23, 2016

Maybe I'm just cheap, but I really don't want to pay for a service I am not going to get


This was one of my Facebook posts this week: 
Well... this just happened.
This week the IVF train is really picking up speed.
Our medications have been ordered. We are waiting to hear back from some prescription discount places to see if we qualify and then we will be paying for the meds as well. The deadline for all payments is Dec. 27th.  
If you are praying for us, please pray that we qualify for at least the minimum discount of 25%. Our out of pocket expense for the medications is about $3400.00 (which is great, considering it could have cost $5,000+.) Any discount would be amazing. It would be awesome to qualify for the 50% or even better yet, the 75% discount, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.
As I said in a previous post, we did qualify for the 25% discount, which saved us about $1k off our medications. This isn't as much as I wanted to qualify for, but I am not complaining. getting a $1k discount is amazing and I am incredibly thankful for it. 

One thing I had mentioned in my previous post is to always be your own advocate. We were originally quoted $10,530.00 for our IVF procedure. When we got the bill, it was $100 more than that. I tried several times to contact the office, trying to confirm that we didn't have to pay that exrtra $100. I already knew that the extra fee came from the $100 patient education class that we are not required to take (because we are old pros). Maybe I'm just cheap, but I really don't want to pay for a service I am not going to get. 

Since I had never heard back from the office, we went ahead and got our cashier's check for the whole amount. I took it to Tulsa and hand delivered it to the clinic yesterday. When handing over a check this large, it is hard to let go. As much as I want this IVF cycle to happen, it was hard to give it up. While I was there, I spoke to them about the extra $100. I did hold up the line a bit, but luckily, I had my son with me and he was being *ADORABLE* he had on a jingle bell bracelet and was shaking it and singing jungle bells. In some instances, that could be considered rude to let a kid do that in a waiting room, but in an infertility waiting room, he was a complete hit. Everyone loved him. (I digress... back to the $100.) 
They agreed that I should not have to pay that amount, and my account was credited for the amount. There will be more expenses after IVF is over, so this worked for me. 

Worrying about $100 might seem silly to some. I know that I have been guilty of just paying medical bills and not actually looking at what I'm paying for. However, money is tight while we are going through this procedure, and if I can save $1k here, and $!00 there, it really starts to add up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Leave a comment here.