Monday, March 13, 2017

The Chains That Bind Me


If you know me in person, you know I pretty much never leave the house without my bangles, a watch (it is just for looks and doesn't even have batteries in it) earrings, a necklace or two, my glasses and my rings. These things are not essential to my life, (ok, the glasses are - I can't see without them) but they make me feel put together and complete my pretty simple wardrobe of plain tunics, cardigans and 'old lady' flats.

This week I was not feeling well, I had a headache for five days straight and collapsed into bed as often as I could manage. During one of these desperate attempts at some sleep, I crashed with all my jewelry on. Despite being incredibly tired and in need of rest, I could not get comfortable. Metallic clanking, chains choking me, earring posts poking me and rings strangling my fingers. I took off one piece at a time, too tired to mess with taking it all off. When I was done, I was without a single accessory. I was comfortable and I was free to sleep.

I have been thinking about that this week when I get some quiet time. Hebrews 12 again came to mind as I was contemplating unnecessary chains that bind me.
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses [who by faith have testified to the truth of God’s absolute faithfulness], stripping off every unnecessary weight and the sin which so easily and cleverly entangles us, let us run with endurance and active persistence the race that is set before us..."~Hebrews 12:1 
There is nothing wrong with my jewelry, I find it tasteful and it gives me confidence. However, I thought about the metaphorical chains that bind me daily. As I try to live for the Lord and do what I feel he has asked me to do, I have small things that, mostly, I have allowed into my life that hold me back. As I try to rest in God's promises, there are little pokes and uncomfortable prods from areas of my life that I have not taken the time to get rid of. Areas that I hang on to, that keep me from being all I know I can be, and all I know God has for me.
"He brought them out of darkness, the utter darkness, and broke away their chains."Psalm 107:14
“Let us break their chains and throw off their shackles.”~Psalm 2:3 
I suffer with Areas of self doubt,  jealousy and even some anger problems. Those are just the beginning. Fear is a large area I  constantly battle. I wear it, not like a pretty gold necklace, but as a heavy chain around my shoulders, weighing me down. There are times life is hard to live with this fear binding me, and much sleep has been lost because of it. The fact that it is still there is no one's fault buy my own. I keep putting it at the feet of Jesus and picking it right back up. It is uncomfortable, but it is familiar, so I go back to it ALL the time.

Just as I put on the pieces of jewelry to prepare for the day, and then take them off again at night, I need to be in the practice of putting on the armor of God every morning to be equipped to fight those areas that hold me back. Every night, I need to take off anything that has managed to attach its self to me and lay it at Jesus' feet. I have the ritual already in place with my accessories, so why not add some meaning to it? 
"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit,which is the word of God.And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people."
~Eph 6:10-18
As with my jewelry, it serves a purpose, and has its place. Sometimes fear and some well-placed worry or burden is not a bad thing. When we wear it longer than we need to, or try to use it keep it on when we should have laid it aside is when it becomes an entanglement and an issue. In this crazy world and in this crazy little life I live, there are times I can't help buy worry. It is what I do with that worry that counts though. I can choose to layer my shoulders with heavy chains, or I can lay them down daily before they are forged into something ugly I carry around with me.

What are the chains you wear? Can you take them off and place them at the feet of Jesus before they bind you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear from you! Leave a comment here.